Buying or selling a home remains one of the largest financial transactions a person or couple will enter into during their lifetime. Coordinating all the details involved in a move is often a stressful process. Finding a real estate agent who works for you, someone who will ensure you receive the best deal available, will make the whole process that much more manageable.
Points to consider for sellers
Before contacting any agents, it’s a good idea to do some research to compare your home’s worth against the competition. Researching this is as easy as going online and searching for homes for sale in your area. Doing this will give you a general idea of how your home stands in comparison to nearby homes that potential buyers may also be evaluating.
Once you have a general idea of how your home measures up against the competition, you’re ready to take the next step, which is interviewing real estate agents in your area. If possible, interview at least two or three agents. Be sure to review the following key points with each agent.
- Discuss how your home’s appraised value will be determined.
- Discuss the fees associated with listing and selling your home.
- Have the agent discuss their selling strategy (e.g., number of showings, where they advertise, etc.).
- Agree upon the form(s) of communication that will occur between you and the agent.
Agreeing on the forms of communication is very important when engaging in a transaction that involves so many deadlines. If you prefer to receive information through a phone call but the real estate agent you selected communicates primarily through email, you may miss important information relating to the sale of your home.
Points to consider for buyers
If you want to hire a buyer’s real estate agent to help you find a home, interview more than one before you narrow your decision down to a single agent. Other important points to consider include:
- Whether you agree with the strategy they plan to use to find you the ideal home
- Their level of experience as a buyer’s agent
- The fees they charge for their services
- The communication channels you’ll be using with the agent
- Whether you want to sign an exclusive buyer’s agent contract or a non-exclusive contract
The best agents in the Great Plains
Whether you’re buying or selling your home, our team of experienced agents at Gateway Realty are here to help! We have over 50 years of experience aiding in the purchase and sale of homes, ranches and farms in North Platte, Nebraska, and the surrounding areas. Let us put that experience to work for you. Contact us today!